Friday, October 01, 2004

Ironman Lake Placid

When I was 12 I had a dream I would run a marathon, and compete in a triathlon. When I awoke from that dream, I immediatly set a goal to run the marathon before the age of 30. May 11th 2003, 20 days before my 30th birthday, I ran the Old Town Marathon in Fort Collins, Colorado. I finished in 4 Hours and 10 Minutes and it was probably the hardest thing I've ever done. To set a goal and acheive a result is truly rewarding! Even though I didn't set a time frame for my triathlon I decided, after watching my sister in-law compete in the Danskins triathlon this summer that it was indeed time to finish my boyhood dream. I have never done anything the easy way in fact I sometimes go out of my way to make things more difficult. It's part of my make up and in honor of that I signed up for the Ironman. An ironman triathlon is a 2.6 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride, and 26.2 mile run. I started training about 8 weeks ago and so far it's going quite well. I will use this blog as a diary of my training, and if anyone is out there left to read it I would appreciate a kind word.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John, you are amazing. Yes, you do try things the "hard way", but you always succeed. I am so proud of you and you inspire me to keep trying new things and stretching my boundaries.